Wednesday, February 1, 2017

JOHN WETTON Passed Away... (12/6/1949 - 31/1/2017)

  I'm very sorry to announce to those who haven't heard it yet, that the great English musician John Wetton died last night, at the age of 67.
  John Wetton was mainly a Bass player, but he was also singing and playing the mellotron occasionally. He was never a "Super Star", that's why maybe some of you don't recognize his name. But during his enormous career, released and participated in a number of albums that can't be easily counted.
  He was a basic member in King Crimson for a few years in the 70's, and the co-founder of the supergroup Asia in the 80's. But that's not all. During is career worked with many famous musicians, and I'm almost sure that most of you have at your houses an album that he is playing into, without maybe knowing it. So, here are some names of bands and artists he worked with: Asia, King Crimson, Family, Renaissance, Uriah Heep, Roxy Music, Brian Eno, Wishbone Ash, Peter Banks, Yes, Bryan Ferry, Steve Hackett, and Ayreon. And those are only the famous ones...
  Being a Bass player in my youth, (even for a while), I always have a soft spot in my heart for Bass players, and John Wetton was not only very skillful and talented, but he also was a very big influence on me.
  I heard the news last night, and I couldn't believe it!
R.I.P John Wetton, you will always be remembered through your music. 
By clicking on the following YouTube link you will be able to watch a live performance of him, together with Steve Hackett, performing  Firth of Fifth (Genesis).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fhTtnobNKg 

No comments:

Post a Comment