Wednesday, December 7, 2016

EVERSHIP: Evership (2016)




 This is definitely one of the biggest surprises of 2016 for me, and one of the best albums I’ve listened to, during this year. ‘Evership’ was a name that meant nothing to me, until I heard ‘Silver Light’ for the first time. Oh, if you could only see my expression at the time! I felt like a kid that just discovered a new wonderful candy!
  I conducted a small research in order to learn more, which as it proved wasn’t that hard, because lately many people are talking about them. Something also tells me that this is only the beginning. Well, I hope so at least!   
  Now let’s get to the point! Evership is a band from Nashville, that is based upon two people: Shane Atkinson, who is a composer and multi-instrumentalist, and Beau West who is the lead singer. And what a singer! Beau is one of the best singers I’ve had the pleasure of hearing recently! I’ve read that many people describe the colour of his voice Freddie-Mercury-like, although I wouldn’t get that far. In fact, there is no reason to try to compare him with anyone actually, because he has a wonderful voice, and his overall performance on the album is excellent! I think that’s what really matters. But Shane and Beau are not alone in this. Behind them there is a whole band, including some very good musicians as it is proved in all the songs of the album.       
  Evership’ is the band’s debut album, and it is something they were preparing for many years. Let’s hope that we will not have to wait that long for their next one.
  The album opens with the really excellent ‘Silver Line’, which I can’t stop listening to! The thing is that, every time it sounds better and better to my ears, and the same happens with the whole album. And right after that, comes the – almost-12 minute-long – epic ‘A Slow Descent into Reality’ that is divided into 6 parts; another really great song. With so many twists and turns that I lost count, is one of the album’s best moments in my opinion. I could recommend you to buy this album only for these 2 songs, but you know what? There’s more!
Next, comes the -10-minute-long – Evermore, which is divided in 2 parts, ‘Eros’ and ‘Agape’ both Greek words, describing in a different way the word Love. At the beginning of this song I realised why some people compare Beau West with Freddie Mercury, but still… Good song, but not one of my favourites in the album. (The general style of Evermore has a strong Queen “essence” in my opinion).
Evermore is followed by another long piece, Ultima Thule, a rather slow and relaxed track in the beginning, that is changing over and over again as time passes. Very good song and excellent performance by Beau West once more.
The 5th track of the album - which is the longest one - is the wonderful Flying Machine; a real epic! During the almost 14 minutes that is its length, gives the listener the opportunity to close his eyes and let his mind fly with the help of the music.
   If I had to describe the album in a few words, I could say that it is a wonderful travel for the mind to far and wonderous places with the wave of music. I don’t know if I am describing it properly, but to me is exactly that. Because music is not mathematics, music is pictures, feelings, ideas and passion. And this album includes strong doses of all those things!
That’s why I will give 5 stars and I will say a very big ‘Thank you’ to Evership for this wonderful piece of art that they offered to us!
                              HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

No comments:

Post a Comment