Wednesday, October 19, 2016

KANSAS: The Prelude Implicit (2016)



  Starting this piece I should mention that I was never a fan of Kansas. I respect them a lot, I like their music the normal amount, I have some of their albums in my music collection, but that’s all. So, when I heard about the release of the new album I didn’t pay much attention.
So, I am not going to write a detailed review, but I will write some of my thoughts instead.
  The Prelude Implicit is the first album that the band released after 16 years of silence. Their previous studio work was ‘Somewhere to Elsewhere’ that was released in 2009. I wasn’t sure if that album was a good idea, especially since two of their most important members were not in the band anymore. (For those who are not so familiar with Kansas, I should mention that Kerry Livgren and Steve Walsh, who used to be the basic songwriters are not a part of Kansas anymore). But despite all that, I decided to give the album a try, and I was really surprised! 
  The Prelude Impicit is a very good album and it includes all the classic elements and the typical sound of Kansas, that the band became famous for, and it is very pleasant to the ears. But further than the sound, there is one more very important matter. The singer! Steve Walsh had a very characteristic voice, and it is always a risk to replace the singer. But in this case, there is no problem at all. His replacement (Ronnie Platt) has a very similar voice and his overall performance is excellent!
  The album includes some fine moments, starting with the beautiful With this Heart, which is the opening song. As for the Progressive Rock fans, they will surely love 'The Voyage of Eight Eighteen', the longest song in the album, which is simply wonderful! 
  The truth is that, The Prelude Implicit requires a few listenings in order to fully appreciate it, so give it some time before you make your final decision.
In general, the album sounds “fresh” enough, and the band seems to be in a good form.
  I definitely recommend this album, not only to the “hard-core” fans of Kansas, (who already bought it I guess), but to all those who, like me, respect this great band and can appreciate a really good album.
By clicking on the following YT link you will be able to listen to the album's opening song 'With this Heart'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xIL9QlxhY
                    My rating would be 3.5 out of 5.0 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment