Thursday, September 22, 2016

FATES WARNING: Theories of Flight (2016)



  Before you continue reading this, I should inform you that I am not a great fan of Progressive Metal. I like some bands the normal amount, but that’s all. For that reason, don’t consider this post as a review, because it isn’t.
  Fates Warning is one of the bands that I have some of their albums in my collection, but I can’t say I listen to them frequently. [For those who might be interested, I have the following 3 albums: Perfect Symmetry (1989), Parallels (1991) and Disconnected (2000).]
  In 2016 the band released their new album Theories of Flight, which became the 4rth album that I now own by Fates Warning.
  Theories of Flight include 8 songs and has a total running time of almost 50 minutes. Most of the songs are between 4.00 and 7.00 minutes in length, with only 2 exceptions: The almost 10 minutes long songs ‘The Light and Shade of Things’ and ‘The Ghosts of Home’. The Light and Shade of Things is one of the album’s highlights in my opinion, if not THE highlight.
Further than that, the style of the album is the usual style of Fates Warning, and I believe that the fans of the band will not be disappointed. The production is good, the compositions are interesting, the sound is “tight”, the guitar riffs are great in most occasions and so on.
  Have in mind that with every new listening the album “grows” in you, so don’t be hasty in your judgment. Personally speaking, I consider Theories of Flight to be a good album, that’s totally worth your money. My favourite songs (so far) are: Seven Stars, The Light and Shade of Things and Like Stars Our Eyes Have Seen.
            I would give 3.0 out of 5.0 stars as a rating.
By clicking on the following YT link you will be able to listen to the song Seven Stars to get a first idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I32Uq9Aw3Qc

No comments:

Post a Comment