Wednesday, February 18, 2015

TV Series: American Horror Story (Seasons 1 & 2)



If you are fans of Horror or Sci-Fi movies, (or both) this series is a must for you!
  I had no idea about this series, but lately I discovered them, and watched the first 2 seasons within almost a week!
Being a fan of horror movies since I don't remember when, I must say that I'm not easily impressed anymore. But the first two seasons of 'American Horror Story' are really impressing!
Let's take it from the start:
 One of the really good aspects here is that in every season we see a totally different story, not connected to the other ones. So, the whole idea is like watching a really long horror movie let's say.
 Another interesting fact is that the cast is almost the same. (But they play different roles on each season of course). When I started watching, I didn't like the idea of watching the same actors on and on because I thought it would be difficult to forget their previous characters and concentrate on the new ones every time. Well, so far no problem there! Although most of the characters in season 1 are very "strong" and well played, when season 2 starts it takes 1-2 episodes in order to forget the previous ones. As for the actors, I didn't know any of them to be honest, except of Jessica Lange who is the "star" of the series.
  As I wrote at the start of this post, I watched all 25 episodes of the 2 seasons within a week, and I can't wait to start the 3rd season! Mostly because I know it will be something completeley different.
 The first 2 seasons are very interesting, with well "built" characters, great scenarios, interesting turn of events, and lots of suspense.
 Now let's take a small look on each season:
Season 1: MURDER HOUSE
  The story of this first season is a rather ordinary one in horror movies. A house with a very dark and tragic history, is haunted by the spirits of the people who died in there.
  That's it? Well, not exactly! I will agree that the main idea is not at all original. On quite the contrary it borders on washed up, however the way the story is conveyed makes a world of difference.
  In the first episode we see a family who is renting this enormous house, without knowing the dark secrets which are hidden in it. And slowly slowly the house will start revealing all of its secrets onto the unlucky family, until the story will reach to the tragic end. (I'm trying to say whatever I can without giving out hints and spoil the surprises for you).
  I watched all 12 episodes of season 1 in almost 3 days, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the fast pace and the doses of suspense almost from the first episode. But in my opinion 12 episodes were too many for this kind of story. If the whole 1st season was 8-9 episodes it could have been perfect! But in order to make it longer, they added more and more elements in the scenario, and after a point and on it became kind of boring. I started watching it with great enthusiasm, but slowly slowly I found myself waiting for the end, because I was curious to see how it would all end. And I say this because in horror stories very rarely do I see tangible conclusions. And I'm sorry to say that in this case the finale is a totally crapy one! But despite the negatives, it is very enjoyable to watch. (An unexpected and pleasant surprise was the guest appearance of Eric Stonestreet who is playing the role of Cameron Tucker in the series 'Modern Family' in one episode).
 If I had to rate this 1st season I would give an 8.0 (out of 10.0)
Here you can watch a trailer from season 1.
Season 2: Asylum
 After finishing with 'Murder House' I started the second season named 'Asylum' immediately. But this time I was "prepared" because I knew what these series are about. But as it seemed I wasn't fully aware of what was coming next...
  The second season is far better at almost everyhing in comparison with the first one. Starting from the very tight and well structed scenario, the dreadful atmosphere, the turn of events, the acting etc. The story is about 'Briarcliff' which is an Asylum administered by the Catholic church, in which terrible things are happening. Starting with the "Monsignor" the ambitious self-involved priest, and the cruel head-nun Sister Judy, up to the "doctor" who was an SS researcher in Auswitz, and he likes experimenting on live human beings. Many really tragic stories are taking place in Briarcliff, which keeps the viewer involved and highly interested.
  In this season unlike 'Murder house' there were only few elements which were out of place. (In my opinion at least). And once more unlike 'Murder House', the finale is a really great one! To be honest while I was watching it I was really afraid of how they would end it, but I must admit they created a perfect ending! 
{From wikipedia: The season garnered seventeen Primetime Emmy Award nominations, more than any other show.}
  'Asylum' consists of 13 episodes (1 more than 'Murder House'), with an average running time of 40 minutes each. 
 I don't feel like there is anything more to say here, just WATCH IT!
If I had to rate 'Asylum' I would give a number between 9.0 - 9.5 (out of 10.0)
 In the following video you can watch a trailer for 'Asylum'.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment