Friday, September 12, 2014

TV Series: Orphan Black (Seasons 1 & 2)


As I mentioned at the start of the post below, lately I watched enough series, and in this blog I will be writing my opinion and a small review on them.
Yesterday I wrote about 'The Blacklist', and today I'm writing about 'Orphan Black', which is a MUST SEE in my opinion.
But let's take everything from the start:
'Orphan Black' is an Action/Drama series, with strong doses of Sci-Fi. The first 2 seasons have been released in 2013 & 2014, and now we will have to wait until next year for the 3rd one.
 SPOILERS AHEAD:
Now let's take a look at the main story:
 Everything starts when the orphan and street-punk Sarrah Manning is witnessing a woman's suicide in the underground train. The weird thing is that the woman who just suicided looks exactly like her! But before jumping in the rails, she left behind a coat and a briefcase. Sarrah picks them up, only to realise that this woman is a cop. This is the point which she decides to take her role for a while, and solve her economical (but not only) problems by clearing this woman's savings. This is just the start (Episode 1) in a very intersting and intriguing story, which includes medical experiments with clones, with Sarrah being just one of them. Very soon she will realise that there are more women who looks exactly like her, but only in face and shape. Each one has a totally different character and temper, and is living a different life. As the story goes, it becomes more & more complicated, including many unpredictable turns in the plot.
 The rythm in the first season is so fast, that doesn't let you press 'stop' in the control. I watched all 10 episodes of the first season in two days! (Each episode has a running time of almost 45 minutes). But unfortunately that doesn't continue in the second one, which is slower by far, and less interesting. It is very obvious that they tried to add as many extra stories as they could, in order to "strech" the whole series.That thing really bothered me to tell the truth.
 Here I have to make a special mention to Tatiana Maslany, the actor who holds the whole series almost by herself. She plays the basic role of Sarrah Manning, together all the other roles of the clones I mentioned above.
Also, very pleasant surprise to me was the appearance of Maria Doyle Kennedy (The Commitments, The Tudors), in the role of Mrs. S. She is a really good actor, and I was very glad to see her participating here.
 Concluding this, I have to say that I really enjoyed these series, and I highly recommend them!
As for my rating, I will give an 8.5 for the first season, and 7.0 for the second one.
IMDB's rating for both seasons is 8.5/10.
The following video is a small trailer for your liking.
I hope you find this post interesting and informative.
Thank you for reading. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment