Thursday, June 12, 2014

CRIPPLED BLACK PHOENIX: White Light Generator (2014) My review...

Crippled Black Phoenix is one of the most unique & interesting bands which appeared in the last decade in the music business.
 Although they started as a side-project band, soon they were evolved into a full time band, having as trademark their unique sound which combines many different music styles. Another "trademark" is the endless members change in these last years, up to a point which you can never be sure which their line-up will be after a few months. (There has been already about 30 musicians in their ranks since 2004).
 They have released 7 studio albums so far, and all of them have something different to offer to the listeners.
Speaking for myself, every new release is something pleasant, because I never know what to expect from them.
 Their previous album 'No Sadness or Farewell' was maybe their weakest one, and I wasn't sure what to expect next. But this new album made me re-gain my faith in the band.
  Let's take it from the start: 'White Light Generator' contains 11 songs, and has a total running time of almost 70 minutes. The opening track is a Ricky Nelson's cover version (Sweeter than You), which I still wonder why it was included in the album. It's a sweet and mellow ballad, but has nothing to do with the rest of the album. (That's not the first time CBP are doing that. Also in 'I Vigilante' we were wondering for the same reasons about the album's last song).
Next comes one of the strongest moments of the album, the song 'No!' (Part.1&2), and the things are suddenly serious, bringing to our memory some of the band's older wonderful moments. And right at the moment when your expectations grow, the next 3 songs mildly let you down because they dont have anything interesting to offer (Without being bad songs though). And then we reach 'Northern Comfort'. (Track No.6). From the first notes you realise that here we have something really good! This song is a really great composition from the start till the end. Especially the last part after the 4th minute with the female backing vocals is an apocalypse! It was not by accident the band's choice to make this song the album's first video-clip.
 'Northern Comfort' is followed by 'Wake me up when it's time to sleep', and the rhythm is slowing down a lot. But further than that, the song has a very beautiful melody, and for me it's one of the best songs here.
But after this song there is again a 2-song- "gap" before we reach 'We Remember You' which is the 3rd very strong composition in this album. It's a rather melancholic tune, with a glorious and unexpected finale. As for the last song 'A Brighter Tomorrow', I don't think I would have a problem if it wasn't included here. And to be honest, I would like more 'We Remember You' as the album's closing song.
 So, in a nutshell 'White Light Generator' is a very 'decent' album, which includes some really remarkable moments. I think if it was a bit smaller in lenght it would have been better though.
 Totally recommended to the fans of Crippled Black Phoenix (but not only those).
If I had to rate it, I would give 3.0 stars out of 5.0
I will conclude this post by adding a video for you to watch. It's the band's official video clip from the song 'Northern Comfort'. Enjoy, and thank you for reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment