Thursday, December 20, 2012

THE HOBBIT: An Unexpected Journey...

As I wrote in my previous post I have spend the last days in Athens.
One of the things I had in mind to do was to go and watch The Hobbit on the cinemas.
Despite my not very positive point of view, there was no way of missing it!
A couple of months ago I wrote a post named "Concerning Hobbit", and I wrote about my surprise when I learned that P. Jackson decided to make 3 movies on that book.
Anyway, without expecting anything that would amaze me I went to see it. The 3D version of course.
And here is my opinion:
Peter Jackson did some very impressive work (as usual), and the fans of fantasy & action movies will love it! I'm not sure about the fans of Tolkien's books though. What we saw was an action movie based on Middle Earth. As for the book; well, we saw some parts of it.
The whole first movie is about 2 hours and 50 minutes, and the parts that are taken from the book are not over an hour! Which means that almost over an hour and a half is P. Jackson's stuff.
That in some cases is good, (the first part of the movie for example), but many others are totally unnecessary. This first movie ends when the fellowship sees the Lonely Mountains from a distance.
In the book that means that very few things are happening so far. But in the movie...
They kill hundreds of Orcs, Goblins, and every other walking creature. To be honest, that thing bothered me a lot. I agree on adding a few things for the sake of the movie, but this time they took it too far! When I went out of the cinema I was very disappointed, but after thinking about it for sometime I realised that I knew it from the start.
It's not a bad movie, it is a very good one actually, but it's not The Hobbit! (The one that Tolkien wrote). It is another version of it, with too many special effects, too much action, and the result is surely very impressive!
For the ones that haven't watched it yet, I suggest that you do, but have these things in mind...
And here is the trailer from this first movie...
                                                     

3 comments:

  1. Well you know, we knew it was going to be like this. Pity...I am not completely against Peter Jackson adding some of his own stuff as he did in The Lord of the Rings. Some of them were far fetched I admit but some changes I actually liked. However it is one thing to add some of your own vision here and there and whole other thing to make a movie which is called The Hobbit and shoot something entirely different. Pity indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When tinny announced on swtor your thoughts on the movie, I said it.....I KNEW IT. I just knew this movie would disappoint me, not cause its a bad movie, but as you say, its not tolkiens hobbit, its jacksons hobbit....I'll still see it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you should see it! Just have these things in mind.

    ReplyDelete