Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Rolling Stone magazine's online poll...


                        
                     The best Prog-Rock albums ever!

   Yesterday I read about that, and I thought it would be nice to share it with you.
Rolling Stone magazine made an online poll about the best Progressive Rock album ever.
And here’s what happened: The band Dream Theater put a link at their own site about this poll, asking their fans to vote. Although that is not something “illegal”, the problem was that thousands of Dream Theater fans voted for their albums, and the conclusion was the 6 out of the first 10 albums were the ones of Dream Theater. Not illegal, but not fair as well eh?
   So Rolling Stone magazine decided to keep only their first album in votes and all the others were cancelled. Speaking for myself, I had no idea about this poll! I’m sure that if I had voted the results would be very different! :P (hahaha kidding of course!)
So according to this online poll, here are the 10 best Progressive Rock albums of all times:
1. DREAM THEATER - "Metropolis pt. 2: Scenes from a memory"
2. RUSH - "2112"
3. YES - "Close to the edge"
4. PINK FLOYD - "Dark side of the moon"
5. GENESIS - "The lamb lies down on Broadway"
6. KING CRIMSON - "In the court of the crimson king"
7. GENESIS - "Selling England by the pound"
8. RUSH - "Hemispheres"
9. KING CRIMSON - "Red"
10. RUSH - "Moving pictures" 
 
   Well I agree with many, I disagree with others. But in any case, this is the Top-10 at the Rolling Stone online poll…

5 comments:

  1. hello
    first of all i hate these polls n votes they are 90% from people that know only the "big names" of every music category or mainstream bands if you prefer.
    second this list has dream theater which is my "worst enemy" in the world of progressive metal , yea they are insane musicians so what ? boring is still boring even if its done from proffesionals or amateurs :P .
    third 10 best prog albums n only 6 bands thats suxx imo , thats what "big names" i was talking above is all about.
    fourth the only good thing is that Rush has 3 albums in it :) n most of all "moving pictures" my favorite.
    fifth if i had to put a progressive metal band in the list that would be deffinately Fates Warning but still cant decide which album :P
    sixth n last if we are talking about progressive n not "band names" then where are Eloy , where are Camel , where are Marillion , where are the prophets , where are the visionaries , where are the poets to breach the dawn of the sentimental mercenary? THIS WORLD IS TOTALLY FUGAZI :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha... I really laughed a lot reading the end of your comment! I!m sure very few will understand it, but I did and I found it very good!
      Now about the poll... I couldn't agree more. Ok, I dont hate Dream Theater maybe, but No.1??? no no no.... Not even in the first 10 or maybe 15 in my opinion. Yes, they are really great musicians. But that does not mean anything. To be honest I don't expect to see Marillion in these. But, Camel, Van Der Graaf, Procol Harum, even Emerson Lake and Palmer? (ELP are again boring, but they were a huge name!)
      Anyway. I just read that yesterday, found it interesting, and I posted it! :)

      Delete
    2. Marillion still carrys the "genesis copy" curse on them which is a bit stupid imo , yes they have been influenced by Genesis a lot but that doesnt make "script for a jesters tear " , "Fugazi" and "Misplaced childhood" anything less than briliant.
      Many people want to stick on 5-6 bands n thats all never want to search for more , for something else , for something different.
      They remind me myself when i was 16 when i was sooo stuck on Deep Purple that the best guitarist for me was Blackmore , the best keybordist was Lord , the best drummer was Paice , the best singer was Gillan ( I wasnt so stuck to put Glover the best bassist thank god :P ). Now maybe i would kept Blackmore in a top 10 guitarist but nothing more.
      I was expecting ELP too instead of King Crimson's Red or Rush's Moving pictures ( which was a very pleasant surprise for me)
      Anyway its good you posted it , it is always fun for me to see lists i dont like n start yelling , cursing etc about them :)

      Delete
    3. The surprises for me in this list are: King Crimson's 'Red', Genesis' 'The Lamb Lies dow non broadway' and Rush' 'Hemispheres'. I'm not even discussing about this No.1!
      I'm sorry, but no 'Wish you were here' or 'The Wall' at least? No 'Mirage'? And finaly, 'Closer to the edge' at No.3 and the 'Dark side of the moon' at No.4? tststs

      Delete
    4. I wouldnt be surprise if i have seen any Rush album from 1973 to 1979 cause its their best n well known period but i think "moving pictures" got on the top 10 due to "Tom Sawyer" which is their biggest hit ( a thing i never undersood cause Rush has many more better songs than this in this album - vital sings for example )
      Dark side of the moon has more sales than wish you were here , one more proof that the people who vote has no idea about the whole work of every band :P they just stick on the "hits" n " best sellings"

      Closer to the edge is not bad but if i had to put a Yes album on the list (which i wouldnt if i had the choice :P) it would be fragile cause it is the only Yes work i cant still listen to sometimes

      Two genesis albums wasnt a surprise for me maybe instead of "the lamb....." i would prefer "nursery crime" or in my wildest dreams "trespass" :P

      ps: post more lists plz but annoying lists like this , i got my shovel ready n i like it muahahaahah

      Delete