Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tales from the Progressive Oceans Part. 5

                         CAMEL: MIRAGE

   'Mirage' was released on the 1st of March 1974, and it was Camel's second album. The album includes only 5 songs  but 2 of them are over 9 minutes long. These two songs are also the best by far in this album. I'm reffering to the classics 'Lady Fantasy', and 'Nimrodel' which is in 3 parts, and it was inspired by The Lord of the Rings. (The full title is: Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider).
   The album was released in Deram records, which was a part of Decca. (Very big English record company in those years).
   When it was released it didn't make any significant success, didn't climb up in charts, but it was the album that made Camel known in the Prog-Rock scene. With the passing years it took its rightful place as a 'classic' and now it is considered as one of their best works.
   In the cover as you can see, it shows the very famous packet of Camel cigarettes, and that's in my opinion one of the reasons that this album is remembered by many non Prog-Rock fans. (This cover was made after a business arrangement between the band and the cigarette company).
In this album it is the first time that Andrew Latimer (guitars, vocals) plays the flute as well. You can hear it in the song 'Supertwister'.
   In my opinion, if someone wants to search Camel's music a little, this record must be the starting point.

 My Personal Rating: 7.5

In the following video you can watch an extended version (15 mins) of 'Lady Fantasy' live from 1976

6 comments:

  1. I was lucky i saw them live in Salonica the first time they came in Greece (i dont remember the year though). when i first saw Latimer on stage i was sure that he would collapse on stage ,, he looked very old n tired but when they started playing I was like "i died n went in rockheaven" , they were simply amazing n of course they close the concert with "lady fantasy" my favorite Camel song .
    my rating for mirage 10/10 for their first album 9/10
    I am waiting to see Eloy's Dawn so i can put my 11/10 :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Kudos is a great song! A little long though :P hehehe
    Nighteyes, I saw them also live (but in Athens) and I had the exact same feeling. When I saw Latimer it looked a tired old man, but when the live started.... They were simply super! They played far more than 2 hours (if I remember well), and they teach music and passion to everybody there.
    As for 'Dawn' it will be together with 'power and the passion' (allthough I like dawn much more) but I'm trying to find info and it seems impossible! Pitty. Such an amazing record...

    ReplyDelete
  3. search for "eloy - the legacy box" dvd its 2 dvds n it is the story of eloy from start to now , mostly is Frank talking but it have others talking about every album n every period of eloy , there is Rosenthals interview too about his years with Eloy n it has many videos , live recordings n some rare things

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was in 2000 when Camel played in Greece. I must have the ticket somewhere although I don't think the year is written on it. but it was in drachma, I remember that. One of my top 5 concerts ever. Rodon was packed, the sound was good, people singing constantly. A top class experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we were together in this concert if I remember well...

      Delete